Just three points separate the top two teams after nine of 11 challenges, highlighting the authentic performance and style of the Scion FR-S sport coupe
(TORONTO, ON – August 19, 2013) It’s down to the wire for the three Canadian teams competing in the 2012-2013 Scion FR-S Tuner Challenge. The teams – Swag Racing, Top Tuner and VCMC – have completed nine of 11 challenges in the competition, which puts each team’s customized Scion FR-S vehicles through rigorous performance tests. With only two challenges left, the fight will be hotter than ever as each team vies to win the challenge and drive away with their Scion FR-S.
After nine challenges, Team Top Tuner leads the standings with 72 points. But with 69 points, Team VCMC is a very close second and within striking distance of victory. Team Swag Racing is third, with 48 points. Canadian tuner fans can follow all the action at www.tunerchallenge.ca
Scion Canada is an active supporter of passion in motorsports, and the Tuner Challenge program brings together some of Canada’s top talent to compete and to show off their skills. The final two challenges are:
- Endurance – a test of the overall performance, reliability and staying power of each car. The teams will compete in three events – Drifting, Time Attack and Drag Racing – all held on the same day at Toronto Motorsport Park.
- People’s Choice – an ongoing challenge in which Canadian tuner enthusiasts vote for their favourite among the three team’s customized Scion FR-S vehicles, at the tuner challenge website.
Completed challenges include: Autocross, Driving Skills, Drifting, Gymkhana, Ice Racing, Time Attack, Drag, Show and Shine, and performance testing by three Canadian automotive journalists (the Media Challenge). Full details of each team’s performance can be found on www.tunerchallenge.ca
The Scion FR-S Tuner Challenge brings together three teams from across Canada:
- Representing the Québec region, team Swag Racing is led by Dany Bernier, also known as “Babu”. Dany is a well-known Québec personality and the morning man on Choi 98.1 Radio-X in Québec City. Babu has a long history in motorsports as a Touring Car driver and a professional drifter in the DMCC drifting series.
- Representing Ontario, team Top Tuner is led by Edmund Manasan. Edmund’s team is well known on the car show circuit. For years, Top Tuner has put out some of the most respected show cars in the country. To tackle the performance aspect of the Tuner Challenge, the team relies on the services of Can-Jam motorsports to prepare the car and of Sasha Anis, a successful CTCC Touring Car driver, the pilot of the car.
- Representing the West Coast, team VCMC is led by Richard Basford. Richard is a long time grassroots motorsports enthusiast. As an experienced autocross driver in the VCMC autocross series and a performance driving coach, Richard brings a calculated approach the competition.
About the Scion FR-S
The Scion FR-S brings the “sport” back to the car – in an authentic front-engine, rear-wheel-drive performance machine.
The heart of the FR-S is a 200 HP 2.0L four-cylinder boxer engine specially developed for this vehicle and featuring Toyota’s cutting-edge D-4S injection system for maximum torque and mated to a choice of six-speed manual or automatic. FR-S engineers and designers focused on aerodynamics, weight-reduction, and balance – achieving a front:rear weight ratio of 53:47 and a low centre of gravity for remarkable responsiveness, agility and straight-line stability on the road and the track.
The FR-S matches performance with style, inside and out. Aggressive bodywork is sporty and bold, while the interior is driver-focused and performance-oriented. Extreme driving requires safety systems to match, and the FR-S is extensively equipped with active and passive safety technology.
As a Scion, the FR-S is generously equipped with: an eight-speaker Pioneer Audio System with Bluetooth connectivity and USB port; air conditioning; cruise control; fold-down rear seat back; power door locks and keyless entry; power windows with one-touch auto up/down function; the Scion Drive Monitor; a 12-volt DC accessory power outlet; Digital and analogue speedometer; leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel on tilting/telescoping column; leather-wrapped shift knob; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; paddle shifters (automatic transmission models); 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; dual exhaust with chrome tips; power-adjustable and heated exterior mirrors; variable intermittent wipers; and more.
Pricing for the 2013 Scion FR-S starts at just $26,300 for vehicles with the manual transmission, and $27,480 for automatic transmission models. Scion also offers an extensive catalogue of performance and style upgrades, including many TRD parts and accessories designed specifically for the FR-S.
For full features, specs and opportunities for customization, visit www.scionnation.ca
About Scion Canada
Scion is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Scion tC, xB, xD, iQ and FR-S vehicles through a sales and service network of 88 dealers across Canada. All Scions come fully loaded with Scion’s Star Safety System which includes active safety technologies, such as: Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake Systems, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake-force Distribution. The Scion lifestyle is trendsetting, urban and authentic; Scion vehicles maximize personal expression while delivering performance and style.