(TORONTO) – The Scion xD Release Series 4.0 in gleaming “blizzard pearl” finish has arrived in Canada– and only 100 of these frosty beauties will be offered in 2012, so slide into the nearest Scion dealer to book a test drive today. The Scion xD is small but substantial, combining distinct styling with agile and economical performance, plus a full slate of standard features and a great selection of customization parts and accessories.
Highlights for 2012
- The special edition Release Series 4.0 features a unique blizzard pearl finish, 16” smoked platinum finish alloy wheels with locks, pearl white colour-tuned interior, colour-tuned seat surfaces, unique RS 4.0 all season floor mats, and unique Release Series badging;
- New optional premium audio system upgrade, featuring a 5.8” TFT touch screen, Bluetooth phone and streaming audio, and support for album art from iPods and iPhones.
“The Scion xD combines an urban form factor with surprising performance and versatility to haul buddies or baggage,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director of Scion in Canada. “And with the new Release Series 4.0 for 2012, we’ve just taken one hot subcompact and chilled it for instant recognition and envy.”
Power and performance
The Scion xD defies convention with big performance in a subcompact, urban-savvy package. Every model is built around a powerful yet efficient 128 horsepower, 1.8-litre 4-cylinder engine that delivers lively acceleration around urban cores, plus comfortable highway cruising. The engine features dual overhead cams, 16 valves, Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i) and sequential multiport fuel injection to maximize fuel efficiency and minimize emissions.
Pair up this engine with a choice of two transmissions – either way, you’ll spend less time at the pumps and more on the road. The xD is offered with a five speed manual that delivers a combined city/highway fuel efficiency rating of 6.7L/100KM, or a four-speed automatic with gate-type shifter that achieves a fuel efficiency of 6.8L/100KM combined. Regardless of gearbox, the xD has a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and Control
Taming city streets requires lightning reflexes and driving confidence – and the Scion xD delivers both with highly-responsive, more fuel efficient electric power steering plus a suspension system designed with control in mind. Up front, the L-Arm type MacPherson Strut suspension is enhanced with a stabilizer bar, while the rear is fitted with a Torsion Beam suspension system. The xD’s short, wide frame provides the perfect platform for customizing your ride with TRD Accessories that deliver even greater driving fun, including lowering springs, upgraded shocks, sway bars, and more.
From its impact absorbing structure to advanced active and passive safety systems, every Scion xD is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs, offering peace of mind to drivers and passengers:
- All Scion xD vehicles are standard equipped with Scion’s Star Safety System, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. Scion’s Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology;
- The xD surrounds driver and friends in a suite of six airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants, including extra strength beams in the doors to protect occupants in the event of a side-on collision;
- Front ventilated disc brakes and rear drum brakes;
- A direct tire pressure monitor system alerts drivers to potential safety and fuel efficiency issues before they happen;
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts plus pretensioners, force limiters and adjustable shoulder belt anchors for the front seats;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks.
- Other safety systems: High visibility halogen headlamps; intermittent wipers with mist feature; a rear window wiper/washer; and a high-mounted fast-acting, high-visibility, long-life LED stop-lamp.
The Scion xD features a spacious and functional interior and plenty of standard comfort, convenience and style gear, including:
- A full-featured satellite-ready audio system with AM/FM/CD with MP3/WMA capability; auxiliary input jack and USB input for portable audio devices; Bluetooth phone capability; six speakers and multi-function steering wheel audio controls;
- Air conditioning with rear seat heater ducts;
- Room for five with adjustable front seats and a 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat with recline function;
- A driver-focused instrument panel featuring tachometer, dual trip odometer, multi-information display and digital clock;
- Power windows with driver’s side auto-down function and UV glass protection;
- Power door locks with keyless entry;
- Cruise control;
- A three-spoke steering wheel on a tilting steering column;
- Plenty of smart in-cabin storage, including: a large capacity storage box under the rear deck, upper and lower glove boxes, bottle holders in the front and rear doors, front and rear cup holders, coat hooks, cargo area tie-down rings, door map pockets, and more;
- Dual vanity mirrors;
- Map lamps and a cargo-area lamp, plus illuminated entry system with fadeout;
- A 12-volt accessory power outlet;
- Dual foldable, power adjustable, heated mirrors with integrated signal lamps;
- Front and rear splash guards;
- A rear spoiler;
- And more.
Make it yours
Each Scion xD is a blank canvas, ready for your personal expression. Start by choosing an upgraded audio system – new for 2012 with a 5.8” TFT touch screen and the ability to display album art from an iPhone or iPod. Or enhance the engine immobilizer with a security system featuring a glass breakage sensor.
Then make the Scion xD yours, by choosing from more than 20 factory customization parts and accessories, including many high performance parts from Toyota Racing Development.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Scion xD is now on sale at Canadian Scion Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail prices starting at $17,280 and the xD Release Series has a starting price of $18,460.
About Scion Canada
Celebrating its first year of sales in Canada, Scion is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Scion tC, xB, xD and iQ vehicles through a sales and service network of 84 dealers across Canada. All Scions come fully loaded with Scion’s Star Safety System which includes active safety technologies, such as: Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake Systems, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake-force Distribution. The Scion lifestyle is trendsetting, urban and authentic; Scion vehicles maximize personal expression while delivering performance and style.