(TORONTO) – The Scion xB returns in 2012 with unique, eye-catching features in the first-ever Canadian limited edition Release Series model. In addition, this iconic urban utility vehicle – features an immediately-recognizable boxy style, surprising amounts of interior space, impressive performance, a long list of standard gear and a great selection of customization parts and accessories.
Highlights for 2012
- The xB Release Series 9.0 - special for 2012 - features Hot Lava exterior, honeycomb grill featuring Scion name and side vent covers, illuminated vehicle locator badges, suede-style trimmed seats, colour-tuned seat stitching, embossed seat logo, RS individually numbered illuminated badge.
- Upgraded available premium audio system featuring a larger screen, Bluetooth phone and streaming audio, support from album art from iPods and iPhones, and a Haptic Touch faceplate.
“The Scion xB is the original box – different by design – and we’re pleased to offer young, trendsetting Canadians the highly-versatile, endlessly customizable urban utility vehicle that helps them make a unique statement,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director of Scion in Canada. “What’s more, we know that for Scion drivers, music is an important vehicle for self-expression – so we’re pleased to enhance this vehicle with even better audio systems for the 2012 model year. In addition, the unique design and features of the xB Release Series makes a bold statement for drivers looking for a vehicle with high impact.”
Power and performance
The Scion xB is defies convention with big performance in a compact, urban-savvy package. Every model is built around a 158 horsepower, DOHC 2.4-litre 4-cylinder engine that delivers lively acceleration around town and comfortable highway cruising. The engine features sequential multiport fuel injection to maximize fuel efficiency and minimize emissions.
Pair up this engine with a choice of two transmissions – either way, you’ll spend less time at the pumps and more on the road. The xB is offered with a five speed manual that delivers a combined city/highway fuel efficiency rating of 8.5L/100KM, or a four-speed automatic with gate-type shifter and transmission cooler that achieves a fuel efficiency of 8.4L/100KM.
Handling and Control
Taming city streets requires lightning reflexes and driving confidence – and the Scion xB delivers both with highly-responsive electric power steering and MacPherson Strut Front and Torsion Beam Rear suspension systems. Customize your ride for even greater driving fun with TRD Accessories, including lowering springs, upgraded shocks, sway bars, and strut tower brace.
From its impact absorbing structure to advanced active and passive safety systems, every Scion xB is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs, offering peace of mind to drivers and passengers:
- All Scion xB vehicles are standard equipped with Scion’s Star Safety System, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. Scion’s Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology;
- The xB surrounds driver and friends in a suite of six airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants;
- Front ventilated disc brakes and solid rear disc brakes, with the option to customize the xB with the TRD Big Brake Kit featuring 4-Piston Brake Calipers, 13.3” rotors, Kevlar-Ceramic Compound Brake Pads and stainless steel braided brake lines;
- A direct tire pressure monitor system alerts drivers to potential safety and fuel efficiency issues before they happen.
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts plus pretensioners and force limiters for the front and rear seatbelts, and front seat adjustable shoulder belt anchors;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks.
- Other safety systems: High visibility projector-style halogen headlamps; variable-speed wipers; a rear window wiper/washer; and a fast-acting, high visibility, long-life LED stoplamp mounted in the rear spoiler.
The Scion xB features a surprising spacious and functional interior and plenty of standard comfort, convenience and style gear, including:
- A full-featured satellite-ready audio system with AM/FM/CD with MP3/WMA capability; auxiliary input jack and USB input for portable audio devices; Bluetooth phone capability; six speakers and multi-function steering wheel audio controls;
- Air conditioning with cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- Room for five in premium cloth-covered adjustable front seats and a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat;
- A driver-focused instrument panel featuring tachometer, dual trip odometer, outside temperature gauge and multi-information display;
- Power windows with driver’s side auto-down function and rear privacy glass;
- Power door locks with keyless entry;
- Cruise control;
- A three-spoke steering wheel on a tilting/telescoping steering column;
- Plenty of smart in-cabin storage, including: a centre console box with armrest, upper and lower glove boxes, bottle holders in the front and rear doors, storage trays under the rear seat, coat hooks, a luggage tray, front and rear cup holders, door map pockets, cargo-area tie-down rings and under cargo-area storage compartments, and more;
- Dual vanity mirrors;
- A 12-volt accessory power outlet;
- Dual foldable, power adjustable, heated mirrors with integrated signal lamps;
- Front and rear splash guards;
Make it yours
Each Scion xB is a blank canvas, ready for your personal expression. Start by choosing an upgraded audio system – new for 2012 with Haptic Touch Plate and the ability to display album art from an iPhone or iPod. Add leather seating surfaces with two-setting heated front seats. Or enhance the engine immobilizer with a security system featuring alarm, glass breakage sensor, panic alarm, door ajar warning, and interior light activiation.
Then make the Scion xB yours, by choosing from more than 30 factory customization parts and accessories, including many high performance parts from Toyota Racing Development.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Scion xB is now on sale at Canadian Scion Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail prices starting at $18,360.
About Scion Canada
Celebrating its first year of sales in Canada, Scion is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Scion tC, xB, xD and iQ vehicles through a sales and service network of 84 dealers across Canada. All Scions come fully loaded with Scion’s Star Safety System which includes active safety technologies, such as: Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake Systems, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake-force Distribution. The Scion lifestyle is trendsetting, urban and authentic; Scion vehicles maximize personal expression while delivering performance and style.